College Transition is a high school course designed to equip students with the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to be active and successful learners both in high school and in college.
Upon satisfactory completion of this course, the student will be able to:
1. Students will be analyzes the characteristics of effective notes and applies selected note-taking styles to appropriate academic settings.
2. Student understands the skills of time management and the tools of organization.
3. Student explores and utilizes different approaches for college-level assessments.
4. Student understands the role of memory in learning.
5. Student analyzes the characteristics of rehearsal strategies and applies selected rehearsal strategies and applies selected rehearsal strategies to appropriate academic setting.
6. The student explores and analyzes a variety of career options as a function of interest, skills, and values.
7. Student analyzes the characteristics of effective goals and develops personal goals for education, career, and recreation.
8. Understand the role of motivation in learning
9. Student explores the differences between high-school and college and analyzes a variety of campus resources and how to utilize them in appropriate situations.
10. Student evaluates and applies strategies to improve reading comprehension.
11. The student analyzes the characteristics of college-level writing and the process of conducting research to write college papers.
12. The student evaluates the consequences of stress and develops positive coping strategies to address a variety of stressors.
13. Student studies various styles of learning to better understand the learning process in academic environments.
14. Student analyzes specific characteristics of active and passives learners to improve study environments.
15. Student will engage in inquiry and dialogue to determine related field of interests.
16. Student will illustrate and present findings about field of interest and continuing education.
17. Student will engage in constructive feedback and discussions regarding fields of study.
18. Student will consider surveys and information gathered to continue study in field of interest.
19. Student will gather data regarding various continuing educational opportunities.
20. Student will research the admissions process and guidelines for final school choices.
21. Student will explore various avenues for paying expected tuition.
22. Student will investigate the application process and options for student housing.
23. Student will gather information about other fees.
24. Student uses problem-solving and decision-making skills, working independently and with others, in a variety of settings.